Friday, August 15, 2008

Boring

It's always bad for blogging when I get truly stuck on playing a single game. It certainly limits what's on my mind or what I've got to talk about. This time it's Etrian Odyssey II: Heros of Laagard on the DS. It's an excellent first-person dungeon crawler that hearkens all the way back to Wizardry. The touch screen is used exclusively to draw the floor map yourself. You can't get any geekier than that, so naturally it's right up my alley. I enjoyed the first one as well, but it wasn't balanced quite as well and it was very easy to run out of money in the beginning, making it very hard to level grind and recuperate at the inn with any frequency.

There are a ton of classes to choose from, each with their own skill sets that have to be purchased with points you get from leveling. The artwork is beautiful, the quests are challenging, and pretty much every aspect of the game play works perfectly for the kind of game it is. I am still playing a couple of other games, but they're ones I've already talked about - like Picross. Still, there are a couple of 360 games coming out soon that I'm looking forward to trying out so I'll probably have more to talk about soon.

No comments: